Monday, October 5, 2015

Now in My Bookbag: Caged, A Retelling of Rapunzel by L.P. Dover (Fairy Tale Confessions Story #8)

I love that this story starts with “Once upon a time”. More importantly, I love that ‘Rapunzel’ is such a strong female character.

rapunzel3
Dover redefines the concept of being trapped, of being a prisoner in a tower. She expresses the concept of the tower as having reached the pinnacle of success, which siphons almost every personal freedom from the main character.
‘Rapunzel’ faces ugly truths and realizes that she was ‘caged’ for quite a while without even realizing it. She finds her inner strength. Dover develops a ‘Rapunzel’ strong enough to save herself.

I am very impressed with this contemporary re-imagining of the classic ‘Rapunzel’ fairy tale. I am confident in giving this story a 5 star rating.
Posted on September 28, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment