Monday, June 27, 2016

Now in My Bookbag: Reckoning (Book #2 in The Dominion Saga), by S.J. West

Continuing in her exploration of the Watcher world, author S.J. West adds Reckoning to the second trilogy of Malcom and Anna’s story.

I like the way that West uses consistent themes that tie all of the Watcher sagas and series together. The first is destiny, which ties all of the Watcher books together, across time and dimensions. Each character and plot device plays a part in the overall grand design. The potential for redemption is another theme that spans the entirety of the Watcher universe. This book also draws heavily on Helena’s need for love and acceptance, especially by her father, and the consequences due to a the lack thereof. Jealousy, a problem with which Lucifer dealt for several millennia, is Helena’s driving force.

I do not particularly care for the way that West tries to develop so many different characters. I think that the main characters’ developments are hindered by the attempt to deepen so many. I am also not a fan of books written in multiple POVs. I don’t mind two, but a multitude of voices becomes a bit too divisive in a book that is under 300 pages.

I like the way that West ends the book. It is not necessarily a cliffhanger. Instead, it is a situation that requires me to imagine the many potential implications. It makes me think. I can appreciate a story that can do that. I am looking forward to the release of Enduring, the final book in this saga. Reckoning gets 4 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment