Saturday, August 13, 2016

Now in My Bookbag: 1986 - Why Can't This Be Love, (a Love in the 80's New Adult Mix), by RK Ryals

I didn’t get title significance at first, probably because my memory of these songs is shrouded in the cloak of time. So, I looked up lyrics and listened to the title song, by Van Halen. I realize now that the title is damn near perfect. (see video below)


Ryals does a phenomenal job delivering that feeling of finding first love. The characters are relatable, and developed well within the space of an 83 page novella. Tori’s new experiences help her find her own voice. Dylan Black is an interesting character. No one sees him for who he really is… until Tori finds him.

I  have always known that there are perfect songs for emotions, feelings, and experiences. I have made a mix tape, or two, in my life. I have never thought of the concept that these songs are soundtracks, background music, within the script that is life. The song references are spot on and nostalgic, for me… things forgotten in the 30 years since high school. I absolutely love the a-ha reference, (view video below).

I find this book an enjoyable read. It is lighthearted, but there is no fluff. There are many, many song references, which I love. This is another great addition to the Love in the 80’s series. 4 stars

Why Can't This Be Love - Van Halen


a-ha - Take On Me




No comments:

Post a Comment