Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Now in My Bookbag: Winter Shadows, by Casey L. Bond

This book is far different than Bond’s other books set in West Virginia. Where the other books fit within the New Adult/College Romance genre, Winter Shadows is a Christian/Dystopian novel.

I believe the story is okay. I find the multiple point-of-views a little confusing because there are no chapter headings to delineate one voice from the others. It is necessary to read through the beginning of each chapter in order to determine whether it is Claire, Ethan, or Colin speaking. If these headings were added, it would make a dramatic difference.  These characters are interesting and likeable. Their evolutions throughout the novel are surprising and unexpected. I feel that one evolution in particular is a bit of a stretch. It is a tangent that pops up near the end of the book, and it doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of the story.

The concept of the book is interesting. The pace of the plot seems to flow steadily, then suddenly hits a fast pace. Then it slows. Before long, it speeds up again. For me, this is a bit disconcerting. There are also several typos in this work, nothing that another proofreading wouldn’t fix. 3 1/4 stars

This will not, however, keep me from reading more from this author. I have been very pleased with her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment